Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Blind in a Blizzard"

This time it has nothing to do with our blizzards :)
This morning I picked up a little devotional my dear friend Julie gave me and opened to an entry by Noel Piper entitled "Blind in a Blizzard," which i thought was very fitting in more ways than one and wanted to share:

I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.
I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains. Isaiah 42:16


I'd read in the Little House books about blizzards so think you could get lost between house and barn. But I never thought blizzards like that happened to real people in real life.

My husband and I were driving home from a speaking engagement in South Dakota--across the prairie through a horizontal gale that was spray painting everything white. Centerline, shoulders, and ditches had disappeared. We couldn't pull off--we'd be buried in the snow and we'd freeze. Anyway, where was "off"? We surely didn't want to stop where another car could plow into us.

A semitrailer saved us. Its driver say high, with the perspective to make out the snow bumps of signposts and other indicators on the road. We fell in behind him, thankfully and trustfully, our eyes glued to his lights. When he slowed, we slowed. When he swerved, so did we.

Some days I feel as thought I'm in a blizzard, with all normal pointers obliterated. But Jesus, my Savior, can see my road all the way to my destination, including every curve, bump, and blind spot that confronts me today.

In that prairie snowstorm, I had to keep my eyes on the semi and follow it; I didn't have any other choice if I wanted to avoid crashing. Every day we need to "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2) and follow him; we don't really have any other choice--besides crashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment