Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The priveledge of serving

A little girl Isaac's age from our home group was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in April. Little Sarah has been having chemo and radiation since then and in and out of the hospital a few times. I have had the absolute priveledge of serving this family by organizing meals and laundry during their stays at the hospital. I've gotten to see first hand the MANY, MANY people serving this family with such joy--giving up their time, resources, money, and energy. Moms with lots of young children taking the time to make meals and add a few more loads of laundry to their day. Men spending their Saturday morning mowing their lawn so Greg doesn't have to do it. I got a call yesterday from someone wanting to give them tickets to Universal Studios so Greg or Alisha could just have a special day with their older son. I've been handed money on more than one occassion and asked to pass it along and not tell them who it is from. Alisha will tell me how they find out about another added expense only to receive a check in the mail the next day to cover the cost. Oh, it is just amazing to see our gracious God work through His Body!! And I can't believe I get to be part of it! I was just reading in James yesterday:
James 2:14-17 "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."
What faith I have seen these last few months in our church! Not just those who are good friends with this family, but people they don't even know. People walking out their faith, caring for those in need because in our greatest need God cared for us by providing a Savior! You all inspire me--thank you for serving this family and more importantly for serving our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment