Thursday, January 14, 2010

Isaac's surgery

We found Isaac's hernia on Thanksgiving day. He had been running around like he usually does but kept complaining his stomach hurt. When I noticed how low he was holding I looked and found a textbook hernia. Our pediatrician referred us to a surgeon who is just wonderful! He had both of our kids laughing hysterically within a minute of entering the room and he explained things so thoroughly yet simply to us. Our love for him only grew when Isaac was writhing in pain Christmas night and he called us back not once but twice!
His surgery is scheduled for January 26th and we'd love your prayers! Though it is a simple out-patient procedure, what parent wants to put their child "under"? I struggled a lot with fear the first weeks after we found out. Thinking we haven't had any major trials plus we were reading a book on suffering. I was assuming the worst would happen. While talking with some of the Pastors College wives at gym day, one was saying how all of her children had had serious illnesses when they were very young. She said something to the effect of "I had to come to a place of believing that even if God took them He is still good. I couldn't assume that because He had protected and healed my other children He would do the same this time." That was so helpful to my heart! Instead of pushing my fears of the worst aside, I needed to correct my thinking. God is faithful, good, kind, loving and sovereign! Our trust is in Him in every situation, from the everyday to the most difficult.

Though Satan should buffet
Though trial should come
Let this blest assurance control
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate
And hath shed His own blood for my soul!

3 comments:

  1. I will pray for you and your little guy! So sad he is in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, what an encouraging and timely word from a friend. Joshua and I will be praying for a peaceful and healing time during surgery and recovery.

    ReplyDelete